Week 43: April 24 – 30, 2017
On 24 April 2017, BBM received an urgent Ex-Parte Omnibus from Robredo wherein she asked the PET to issue a resolution :
1) clarifying the cash deposit to be paid by BBM;
2) directing the COMELEC to submit the itemized cost of the fees payable to Smartmatic because of the delay in returning the 92,509 VCMs used in the 9 May 2016 elections which are the subject of the election protest and the PPO; and
3) holding in abeyance Robredo’s payment of the cash deposit for the 8,042 counter-protested clustered precincts
On 25 April 2017, BBM received a Letter from the COMELEC requesting the PET to authorize them to have temporary custody of the ballot boxes and other election – related documents and paraphernalia used in the 9 May 2016 elections for the position of Governor in ARMM.
On 26 April 2017, BBM received two (2) Notices from the PET:
The 18 April 2017 Resolution of the PET which resolved, among others, to:
1) Note the 7 April 2017 Manifestation of Robredo;
2) Direct the COMELEC to clarify the matters raised by Robredo in her 7 April 2017 Manifestation ; and
3) Note BBM’s 17 April 2017 cash deposit payment in the amount of Php 36,023,000.00
The 25 April 2017 Resolution of the PET which resolved, among others, to:
1) Deny the 12 April 2017 Manifestation with urgent Ex-Parte Omnibus Motion of Robredo;
2) Direct Robredo to comply with the payment of the first installement of the cash deposit within a non-extendible period of 5 days from notice;
3) Defer action on the 19 April 2017 Omnibus Motion of BBM (for the dismissal of the counter-protest), until Robredo’s compliance with the payment of the cash deposit ;
4) Grant the setting the preliminary conference on 21 June 2017, at 2 p.m.; and
5) Require both parties to file their respective Preliminary Conference Briefs at least 5 days before the 21 June 2017 conference.
The PET set the Preliminary Conference for BBM’s election protest to 21 June 2017 — which is 357 days from the time he filed his protest on 29 June 2016.
After 43 weeks, we are still waiting for the PET :
• to issue a Retrieval Order [per undertaking # 7 of 21]