The Manila Times : Facebook restores Marcos spokesman's account

26 April 2022

By Catherine S. Valente | The Manila Times

FACEBOOK has restored the account of the spokesman of presidential frontrunner Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr., just hours after he called into question what he said was a form of "censorship" and an "interference in a sovereign act."

On Monday, Facebook temporarily suspended the account of Victor Rodriguez, spokesman of Marcos, as his "account, or activity on it, doesn't follow our Community Standards."

However, Rodriguez's account, which has over 23,800 followers, was reinstated on Tuesday evening.

"It is with great honor that I commend the media, lawmakers, social media influencers and other personalities for making a firm stand on, and for fighting for, the Filipinos' freedom of expression, a basic freedom enshrined in the Philippine Constitution and in all the laws of the land. For standing behind my cause against Meta's suspension of my account," Rodriguez said in a statement.

"Indeed, we shall allow no usurper to trample upon this basic Filipino right, inked by the very blood of our forefathers and scribed in the national soul," he added.

Rodriguez expressed hope that this "unanimous howl of protest" would serve "as a warning to those who mistakenly think Filipinos will simply take sitting down abuses that tend to suppress this very foundation of our hard-earned democracy."

"Filipinos may be patient and extremely tolerant as a people, and we may be broken down to our knees but we keep on standing; we can be threatened with a thousand deaths but we persist to exist; and we can be hurt to the hilt but we can never be silenced," Rodriguez said.

"Those who wish ill of us can shove us into the darkest dark for all they want, but even darkness has eyes and we shall see through the deceptions, the oppressions, the lies and the maneuverings," he added.

Meta Platforms Inc. earlier this month removed over 400 Facebook accounts, pages and groups in the Philippines in a move to guard against the possible spread of misinformation ahead of the country's May 9 national elections.