Join the campaign (Learn More)

The Manila Times : Comelec grants Marcos petition for extension on disqualification case

News & Interviews
18 November 2021

By William Depasupil | The Manila Times

A division of the Commission on Elections (Comelec) granted presidential aspirant Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr.'s petition for an extension on the filing of his response to the disqualification case against him, a poll official said on Thursday.

Comelec spokesman James Jimenez said the 2nd Division gave Marcos five days to reply but pointed out that "since the fifth day falls on a Sunday, the last day is actually November 22.

Prior to Jimenez's confirmation though, lawyer Theodore Te, counsel for petitioners, and Marcos spokesman Victor Rodriguez had known that an extension had been granted.

Comelec records showed that Marcos' motion for an extension was granted by the Second Division on November 18 and signed by Presiding Commissioner Socorro Inteng.

In the same two-page order, the Second Division also mentioned that on November 17, petitioners also filed an opposition motion not to grant Marcos' motion for extension, that the respondent be barred from submitting controverting evidence, and that the respondent be barred from submitting his memorandum.

But the Second Division set aside the petitioners' opposition motion, saying that "justification was found in the motion for extension to file an answer…"

"In view of the foregoing, for cause shown and in the interest of justice, the Commission (Second Division), hereby grants the motion for extension to file answer and notes the notice of appearance on 15 November 2021 filed by respondent.Consequently, the respondent is required to submit a verified answer on or before Nov. 22, 2021," according to the Second Division