The Senate Committee on Public Works, chaired by Sen. Ferdinand “Bongbong” R. Marcos, Jr. today approved at the committee level nine bills, which originated from the House of Representatives, seeking to name or rename roads in various parts of the country.
Among the bills approved at the committee level were HBN 4400 naming as “President Cory C. Aquino Avenue” the circumferential road at the junction of the Iloilo-Dumangas Coastal Road in Balabago, Jaro District, Iloilo City; as well as HBN4398, naming a stretch of the national highway along the Iloilo Diversion Road as “Senator Benigno S. Aquino, Jr. Avenue”.
Also approved at the committee level was HBN, 1042, naming the diversion road in Tacloban City, Leyte as “Gov. Benjamin ‘Kokoy’ T. Romualdez Diversion Road.
The bills were approved based on the motion of Rep. Ronald Cosalan (Lone District, Benguet), for omnibus approval of the measures under consideration of the Senate committee.
Earlier, the National Historical Commission of the Philippines opposed the passage of four of the measures based on its “10-year rule”, which calls for the lapse of 10 years from the death of a person before any public infrastructure can be named after him.
But the NHCP waived the rule, “considering the contribution to the nation and the length of service of to their respective communities of the honorees” named in the various bills before the committee.
“I think that it is a very wise decision (of the NHCP), to really defer to the locals to decide who it is that they choose to honor within their own local communities,” Marcos said.
Other bills approved under the omnibus action of the committee include:
1. HBN 5204 - Naming as “St. Paul Avenue” the road beside the St. Paul College of Ilocos Sur (SPCIS) High School Department located in the Municipality of Bantay, Province of Ilocos Sur and SPCIS College Department located in Barangay Bayubay, Municipality of San Vicente, Province of Ilocos Sur.
2. HBN 4215 - Naming the Camiguin Circumferential Road in the Province of Camiguin into the Pedro P. Romualdo Circumferential Highway.
3. HBN 1247 - Naming the diversion road in Sorsogon City, Sorsogon as Salvador H. Escudero III Diversion Road.
4. HBN 1140 - Naming the national road from Barangay Abangay to Barangay Poblacion, Dingle, Iloilo as 'Board Member Rufino A. Palabrica, Jr. National Road'
5. HBN 4013 - Renaming the Acop - Tublay, Kapangan - Kibungan - Bakun - Sinipsip, Buguias Secondary National Road in the Province of Benguet to Gov. Bado Dangwa National Road.
6. HBN 4012 - Renaming the Gurel - Bokod - Kabayan - Abatan Road in the Province of Benguet to Cong. Andres Acop Cosalan Road.