The Manila Times – Sen. Marcos dismayed over Mamasapano “alternative version”
By Jefferson Antiporda | The Manila Times
Senator Ferdinand Marcos Jr., on Monday said that President Benigno Aquino 3rd’s supposed “alternative version” of the Mamasapano operation, which resulted in the killing of 44 special action force (SAF) commandos last January, is an attempt to cover up the mistakes made in carrying out the operation.
Marcos, at the same time, expressed dismay over Aquino’s pronouncement that the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) appears to be more believable than the police officers who took part in the operation to capture suspected terrorist Zulkifli Bin Hir alias Marwan.
“How do you think our policemen feel? They are the ones who made the sacrifice and here comes a made up story making it appear that the MILF is the real hero and not the policemen,” Marcos, the sponsor of the substitute bill for Malacañang’s version of the Bangsamoro Basic law (BBL), said.
The Senator said he is convinced that the pronouncement of Aquino is part of an attempt to cover up his mistakes and of other people in Oplan exodus.
Marcos cited the participation of former Philippine National Police (PNP) Alan Purisima in planning stages of the operation despite serving a preventive suspension at that time.
“It would seem the president has made a mistake, because he is trying to cover it now,” he added.
The President in a forum organized by a major broadsheet last week claimed there is an alternative version of events that happened in the Mamasapano operation in January 25.
“I am more than disappointed. I think he owes the policemen an apology,” Marcos added in an interview.
Marcos also noted that the main issue is not the shooter who killed Marwan, but “what is important is that he has been neutralized and we have one less terrorist to worry about.”
“It pains me to hear that the Commander-in-Chief, who gave the green light to the SAF operation, has now put a cloud of doubt on the heroism and the ultimate sacrifice of the Fallen 44 who accomplished their mission against overwhelming odds,” he added.
According to Marcos, the facts have been established.
He noted that aside from the report of the PNP, the Senate and the House of Representatives also conducted their own investigations and released their respective reports and recommendations.
“The SAF went there on a mission sanctioned by the highest authorities to neutralize Marwan and his cohort Usman. The initial stage of the operation accomplished the first objective, and that is to neutralize Marwan. That means the SAF mission is a success, no matter how you look at it,” Marcos added.
The senator said it is more important to give justice to the fallen 44 and their families, and it should be the top priority of the government instead of coming out with an “alternative truth.”
Marcos, however, assured that he would not stop until the SAF men get the justice they truly deserve.