The Manila Times – Public warned against scammers using Marcos
By Jefferson Antiporda | The Manila Times
Sen. Ferdinand Marcos Jr. on Tuesday cried foul over attempts of some individuals to sabotage his political plans for 2016 by spreading false information about his supposed declaration of his presidential bid.
Marcos at the same time called on the public not to entertain invitations from individuals claiming to be connected to him and asking them to join the event in exchange for cash.
“This is part of the dirty tricks employed by some groups who want to sabotage me,” he said in an interview after speaking to students of Rizal Technological University in Pasig City (Metro Manila).
The senator issued the statement after receiving information that there are some individuals going around recruiting people to join a three-day convention that will be held at the Philippine Arena in Bulacan.
The supposed “convention” is reportedly set on September 26 where Marcos will announce his 2016 presidential bid.
Unidentified individuals have been recruiting participants in Taguig City (Metro Manila) since last week and have reportedly recruited more than 4,000 people who were also promised to be provided with free transportation and a P4,500 cash allowance.
According to Marcos, he is still in the process of deciding on what will be his plans in 2016, and if a decision has already been made, it will be the Nacionalista Party (NP) that will make the official announcement.
“Unless the information about his 2016 plans came from the NP, any information coming from other sources is untrue,” the senator explained.
Marcos said he already sent letters to all mayors and governors all over the country clarifying the issues and asking them not to entertain such reports.
He remains undecided if he will run for President next year but he is also reportedly being eyed by Vice President Jejomar Binay to be his running mate.
The senator admitted that he is having a difficult time deciding because the current political situation is very different, noting that even Binay and former Interior Secretary Manuel Roxas 2nd are also having a hard time choosing their respective running mates.
But Marcos said he will likely arrive at a decision on what to do in 2016 before September ends.
“By the time, there is already a clear picture on what the 2016 presidential elections will look like,” he added.