Marcos says Congress may not pass BBL by end of 2014; suggests to move timetable to early 2015

20140527_NCR_MetroManilaCommitteeHearingBOTLawRightWay_SI_-39

Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” R. Marcos, Jr. sees the need to adjust the end of 2014 deadline set by President Aquino for Congress to pass the Bangsamoro Basic Law (BBL).

“Siguro kailangang iusog ang deadline from the end of 2014 to early part of 2015,” he said.

Sen. Bongbong, chairman of the Senate Committee on Local Government, gave the suggestion, although he assured that the Senate is willing to conduct marathon hearings and public consultations as soon as the chamber receives the final BBL proposal in an effort to meet the President’s deadline.

“Basta kahit araw-araw ang hearing kung kailangan, ‘yan ang gagawin natin basta matapos…Well, for all you know baka (naman) matapos namin by the end of 2014,” he said.

During the 4th State of the Nation Address (Sona) of the President on July 22 last year, he had asked Congress to pass a Bangsamoro law by the end of 2014.

“That’s the timetable. But like I said, we have to move it from the end of 2014,” the Senator said.

Until now, Malacañang has not yet submitted to Congress the final BBL proposal because disagreement in some provisions are still being hammered out by the government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front panels.

“Akala ko April makakarating sa Kongreso (ang BBL) kaya’t nasabi ko basta bibilisan natin,” Marcos said.

In his 5th Sona last July 28, the President appealed for the understanding of Congress for the delay of the submission of BBL draft, saying every provision should be closely reviewed and scrutinized so that the final version will be reasonable, just and acceptable to all.

Reports said the two panels will be meeting in Davao City from August 1-10 to iron out differences and hopefully come up with a final document.

Back to Blog