Malaya – Lacson asked to talk on flaws in bunkhouses
FORMER senator Panfilo Lacson has been invited to a Senate investigation on the alleged anomalous construction of temporary shelters for survivors of super typhoon “Yolanda” that hit the country in November last year.
Lacson, who is now presidential assistant for rehabilitation and recovery, has said he received information that bunkhouses that have been built were substandard.
“I believe Secretary Lacson could provide the committee with invaluable information that would help us shed light on the alleged anomaly surrounding the construction of the bunkhouses for Yolanda survivors,” said Sen. Ferdinand Marcos, Jr., chairman of the Senate public works committee which has scheduled the hearing for Wednesday.
Also invited as resource person is architect and urban planner Felino Palafox and Public Works Secretary Rogelio Singson.
Palafox has also said the bunkhouses are not fit for human habitation.
The DPWH is responsible for the construction of the temporary shelters.
Singson has denied allegations of overpricing and vowed to resign if the allegations are proven true. But he also said it was possible that some specifications in the construction of the bunkhouses were not followed.
Marcos’ Senate Resolution No. 439 said the Senate probe is aimed at instituting corrective measures to ensure the safety and security of those displaced by Yolanda.
“It is crucial to look into these issues to make sure that the victims of Yolanda will no longer be victimized further by corruption and abuses perpetrated by the callous culprits who take advantage of the desolate condition in the affected areas,” Marcos said in his resolution.