Journal Online – Bongbong best qualified for veep – Abalos

By Bernadette E. Tamayo | Journal Online

Featured-Image-Journal-OnlineSenator Ferdinand Marcos Jr. is the “most qualified” in the vice presidential race considering his long years of exposure in local government service as well as in legislative work.

Incumbent Mandaluyong Mayor Benhur Abalos stressed this point after Marcos filed his certificate of candidacy (CoC) Tuesday for vice president in the 2016 national elections.

“He is the most qualified and experienced candidate for the position so far. Our country needs a person of his caliber in the service,” said Abalos. He said Marcos has always stood on factual ground and strongly pushed his position on sensitive national issues.

Abalos said that Marcos’ “credence, judgment and opinions lay before us an interesting and worthy matrix on assessing how we are as a nation and how we can make our economy more robust and our nation safer in the years ahead.”

“He has a clear vision and unwavering commitment with and for the Filipino people on top of his manifest resolve to change our society in very significant ways,” Abalos said.

After filing his CoC, Marcos said he may live his entire life serving the people. “Siguro hanggang sa kamatayan, iyan na ang magiging layunin ko sa buhay: Ang makatulong sa ating mga kababayan,” he said in a radio interview.

Marcos is an incumbent senator who was elected in 2010, placing 7th overall. He currently chairs the Senate Committee on Local Government and the Committee on Public Works. He had also served as vice governor, governor and congressman of Ilocos Norte.

Abalos, together with Senate Minority Leader Juan Ponce Enrile and former President and now Manila City Mayor Joseph “Erap” Estrada, had led supporters in endorsing Marcos during his formal proclamation of candidacy last October 10.

Back to Blog