Inquirer.net – Bongbong Marcos wants alternative to fireworks for New Year revelry

By Marc Jayson Cayabyab | Inquirer.net

Logo_Inquirer.net_.jpgVice Presidential candidate and Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. urged the public to stop lighting firecrackers and indiscriminate firing during the New Year revelry.

In a statement on Sunday, Marcos told the public to better have a “safe” New Year celebration.
He cited police figures as of Dec. 27 which showed six incidents of stray bullets with five persons injured as a result, four cases of illegal discharge of firearms, and eight injuries due to firecrackers.
He urged the citizens to use alternatives to firecracker and let pyrotechnicians handle fireworks instead.

“Let’s try alternatives to firecrackers and enjoy instead the fireworks handled by professional pyrotechnicians. Firecracker use has caused death and fires that razed scores of homes and destroyed properties… Almost 600 cases of firecracker-related injuries were recorded last year for the Christmas and New Year celebrations, while the police recorded 61 incidents of stray bullets,” Marcos said.

“I hope we can all have a safe and Happy New Year,” he added.
Back to Blog