GMA News – Bongbong denies agreement reached on father’s burial
By Kimberly Jane Tan | GMA News
Senator Bongbong Marcos has denied that he had already agreed to Vice President Jejomar Binay’s recommendation for the remains of his father, the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos, to be buried in his home province of Ilocos Norte.
“Nakakapagtaka na merong mga balitang mga ganyan sa amin di pa kami kinakausap (It’s surprising that there are reports like that because he hasn’t even talked to us about it yet),” Marcos told reporters on Tuesday.
Marcos was reacting to Binay’s claim that the Marcos family has agreed to his recommendation for the remains of former President Marcos to be buried in Ilocos Norte.
“The Marcos family has accepted the proposal for the former President to be laid to rest in Ilocos. However, we are still trying to iron out details if he will be entitled to receiving military honors. The decision will be out soon,” Binay said at a press conference in Laoag.
But Marcos said that their family has not received any formal or official announcement from Malacañang regarding the burial issue since Binay was tasked by President Benigno Aquino III to make a recommendation.
“Nag-aantay nga kami napakatagal na. Inaantay nga namin ano ba talaga ang posisyon ng palasyo tungkol sa isyu ng paglibing ng aking ama sa Libingan ng mga Bayani (We have been waiting for the position of the Palace about the issue for the longest time),” he said.
“Pag-uusapan ng pamilya yan at titingnan namin (Only after that will our family talk about it and decide),” he added.
Marcos noted, however, that he is “open” to having his father buried in Ilocos Norte, as long as he is given full military honors.
“I am sure the other members of the family will also feel the same way. Yun lamang ang aming pinaninindigan dito. Ang kanyang (That has always been our stand, that he be afforded) honors as a president and as a soldier,” he said.