Business Mirror – Sen. Marcos asks Lacson to Senate hearing on controversial bunkhouses

By Mia M. Gonzalez | Business Mirror

businessMirrorSen. Ferdinand Marcos Jr. said on Sunday that he invited former Sen. Panfilo Lacson Jr. to attend the hearing on the controversial bunkhouses for victims of a storm surge after Supertyphoon Yolanda made landfall in Eastern Visayas last year.

The hearing, to be conducted by the Senate Committee on Public Works, is scheduled for Wednesday, January 29.

Marcos, chairman of the committee, said the presence of Lacson would help in the committee probe of the alleged anomalous construction of temporary shelters for victims of Yolanda.

“I believe Secretary Lacson could provide the committee with invaluable information that would help us shed light on the alleged anomaly surrounding the construction of the bunkhouses for Yolanda survivors,” Marcos said.

Lacson, who is presidential assistant for Rehabilitation and Recovery, earlier bared alleged irregularities in the bunkhouse project.

The committee has also invited architect and urban planner Felino Palafox, who had earlier said the bunkhouses were not at par with international standards; and Public Works Secretary Rogelio Singson, who had consistently denied any overpricing in the bunkhouse project.

Back to Blog