ABS-CBN News – Marcos signs motion to withdraw all motions before PET

By Ron Gagalac | ABS-CBN News 

MANILA – Former Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. on Tuesday signed a joint motion to withdraw all outstanding pleadings before the Presidential Electoral Tribunal (PET) in a bid to expedite the election protest.

“I’ve done everything possible to speed up this election protest. At this point, the only thing left is for Mrs. Robredo to sign the document. We are waiting,” Marcos said in a statement.

Romulo Macalintal, Vice President Leni Robredo’s election lawyer, earlier issued an invitation to the Marcos camp to meet Wednesday morning in a restaurant in Manila to sign a joint motion for both of their camps to withdraw all pending motions at the Supreme Court, sitting as the PET.

Marcos had earlier issued a challenge to Robredo’s camp to withdraw all their petitions so as not to delay the recount of actual ballots.

Macalintal said he accepted the challenge and would wait for Marcos and his lawyers to show up.

On Sunday, lawyer Vic Rodriguez, Marcos’ spokesperson, issued a statement challenging Robredo to sign a joint motion withdrawing all their outstanding pleadings so they could go straight to the recount.

Claiming he was cheated, Marcos challenged Robredo’s May 2016 victory, the closest vice presidential race in recent history where the latter won by 263,473 votes.

Back to Blog