Tandem with Miriam both honor and challenge
Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” R. Marcos, Jr. late Monday said his partnership with Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago for the May elections is both an honor and a challenge because of the high standards she represents.
Speaking at the launching ceremonies of “Youth for Miriam” at the Ynares Center in Pasig City, Marcos reiterated his admiration for Santiago’s cutting intellect, brilliance, and indomitable courage.
He said he looks forward to serve the country under the leadership of his presidential running mate Senator Miriam Defensor Santiago as he exhorted the youth sector to support their partnership.
“Malaking karangalan po ang maging katambal si ‘President Miriam’ sa ating kampanya ngayong 2016. I look forward to continue to working with her up in the higher rungs of government, and I can’t wait to be under her tutelage and be mentored by her,” Marcos said.
However, Marcos said working with somebody like Santiago is not just exciting but also poses a huge challenge to keep up with her high standards.
“Nagpapasalamat ako na patuloy siyang binibigyan ng magandang kalusugan. Patunay na mas marami at mas malakas ang mga mabubuting-loob na nagdarasal para sa kanyang kalusugan at kaligtasan, kaysa sa mga masasamang damo na naghahangad ng kabaligtaran para sa kanya!” said Marcos.
In jest, Marcos said this could be attributed to the strange diet of Santiago. “She eats ‘death threats’ for breakfast. She eats her political enemies for lunch. And devours corrupt government officials for dinner.”
Marcos said that in partnership with Santiago they will endeavor to install a “national integrity system” at the foundation of good government and a more progressive future for all Filipinos.
“Let us vote intelligently and wisely. Nasa kamay ninyong mga kabataan ang magandang kinabukasan ng Pilipinas,” Marcos said.
Some 1,000 members of the Youth for Miriam attended the event and they vowed to work vigorously to campaign for Santiago and Marcos nationwide.
The Commission on Elections said the youth vote or those in the 18 to 35 years of age category would most likely determine the outcome of the elections because they comprise about 37 percent (roughly 20 million) of the entire electorate.
It was the second time Santiago and Marcos were together in the campaign trail after their kick off rally in Batac, Ilocos Norte last week. The occasion also served as their tandem’s proclamation rally for their senatorial slate which included Senator Ralph Recto, Leyte Rep. Martin Romualdez, Saranggani Rep. Manny Pacquiao, Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko” Moreno, former Energy Secretary Jericho Petilla, Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW) advocate Susan Ople, former Metro Manila Development Authority Chairman Francis Tolentino, former Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) Director General Joel Villanueva, former Armed Forces Chief of Staff and Director General of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) Dionisio Santiago, actor and television host Edu Manzano.