Join the campaign (Learn More)

Politiko : Ain’t a nuisance bet: Comelec junks petition vs Marcos Jr

News & Interviews
18 December 2021

By Politiko

The Commission on Elections (Comelec) has dismissed a petition that sought to declare as a nuisance candidate former Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. who is running in the presidential race.

In a resolution dated Dec. 16, the COMELEC Second Division denied the petition of Danilo Lihaylihay.

The poll body pointed out that, contrary to claims of the petitioner, “Respondent (Marcos) does not fall under any of the three types of nuisance candidates.”

Among these, the COMELEC said “no inference can possibly be made that Respondent’s act of filing his COC (certificate of candidacy) for President puts the election process in mockery or disrepute.”

Also, the COMELEC said “there is no proof, much less an allegation, that Respondent’s filing of his COC causes confusion among the voters by the similarity of names of the registered candidates.”

The COMELEC said “Respondent has sufficiently established that he actually has bona fide intention to run for President of the country.”

“Respondent, who continuously rank as the most preferred candidate in recent Presidentiable surveys, previously served as Vice Governor, Governor, and Representative of the Province of Ilocos Norte,” it cited.

“He also became a Senator and he was a candidate for Vice President in 2016,” it added.

The poll body also reminded the petitioner that Marcos is “backed by a registered political party, the Partido Federal ng Pilipinas.”