By Patricia Lourdes Viray | philstar
Sen. Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. on Tuesday called on the Department of Justice (DOJ) to explain the delay in filing charges against the suspects for the death of 44 Special Action Force commandos in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last year.
"The DOJ owes it to the family of the victims, and to the public in general, to explain why a year after that tragic incident no formal charges have been filed in court against those responsible," Marcos said in a statement.
Marcos added that the DOJ can submit to the Senate a report on the status of the case even if they are not formally invited to testify in the hearing.
Acting Justice Secretary Emmanuel Caparas earlier assured that the agency will come out with a resolution soon.
Marcos said that former Justice Secretary Leila de Lima and the National Bureau of Investigation should also assist the Senate in identifying the cause of delay in the progress of the case.
President Benigno Aquino III earlier expressed his dismay over the slow progress of the justice system in the country during the commemoration of the first anniversary of the Mamasapano incident.
"Gaya ninyo, ako man po ay naiinip sa bagal ng pag-usad ng sistemang pangkatarungan sa ating bansa. Ika nga: Justice delayed is justice denied," Aquino said.
Meanwhile, the Senate is set to reopen its investigation on the incident on Wednesday upon the request of Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile.
Enrile was detained for plunder charges when the Senate conducted its probe on the Mamasapano incident early last year.