By Franz Lewin Embudo | One News
"The promotion of violence has absolutely no place on our platform and the user’s account has been permanently banned," TikTok said in a statement.
Short-form video app TikTok bared on Tuesday, Feb. 1, that the user’s account involved in the alleged assassination plot against former senator and presidential aspirant Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. has been permanently banned from its platform.
"The promotion of violence has absolutely no place on our platform and the user's account has been permanently banned," TikTok said in a statement.
TikTok noted all concerned parties within its company are now working hand in hand to handle the concern accordingly.
On Sunday, Jan. 30, Marcos’ camp alleged that there was a “kill plot” against the former senator and it was the Department of Justice-Office of Cybercrime (OCC) that received an online tip that a TikTok post is circulating with a message: “We are meeting every day to plan for BBM’s assassination. Get ready.”
Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra also said on Sunday that the DOJ is not taking lightly the alleged kill plot against Marcos and the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) is validating the information.
Guevarra noted that the OCC had already requested the preservation of the suspect’s account to conduct the initial probe and they have also informed the Philippine National Police-Anti-Cybercrime Group (ACG) for further investigation.
In a letter to the NBI and PNP-ACG dated Jan. 28, DOJ-OCC officer-in-charge Charito Zamora said “an initial open source probe was conducted on the subject” @ljluna7.
The OCC also emailed the TikTok Law Enforcement Outreach and “requested the data related to the subject account preserved pending investigation by the law enforcement agents concerned.”
OCC State Counsel Gel de Gracia said their office would not summon the owner of the TikTok account since the NBI and PNP will take charge of the verification.
On Monday, Jan. 31, the PNP said it is validating reports of an alleged assassination plot against the former senator.
According to PNP chief Gen. Dionardo Carlos, Marcos’ camp has reached out to them and that a task group will be assigned to take on the matter once validation of reports is done.