By Rey E. Requejo | Manila Standard
Supreme Court Chief Justice Alexander Gesmundo will administer the oath of President-elect Ferdinand Marcos Jr. on June 30 as the country’s 17th president, incoming Executive Secretary Vic Rodriguez said on Friday.
“We shall abide by the tradition, the Supreme Court Chief Justice, the Hon. Alexander Gesmundo,” Rodriguez said, in a text message, when asked about who will administer Marcos’s oath of office.
Rodriguez said the oath-taking would be held outdoors so that Filipinos who gave the former senator overwhelming support will witness the event.
“The victory is really for the Filipino people, and it will be open to the public and (Marcos Jr.) will take his oath before, to be witnessed by those Filipinos who overwhelmingly voted him into office,” he said.
SC spokesman Brian Keith Hosaka said Gesmundo has not yet received any request to administer Marcos’s oath.
Rodriguez, however, said: “Everything is being coursed through the Inaugural Committee and I think the letter will be out soon at going to the direction of the Chief Justice.”
The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) is in charge of the “preparation for the little construction or renovation works,” he said.
“We will leave it up to them,” Rodriguez said. “We’re just hoping that it will not rain.”
Earlier, incoming Presidential Management Staff Secretary Zenaida Angping said the incoming president would take his oath at the National Museum of the Philippines.
Angping said the inaugural committee inspected the area and found it to be a suitable venue.
The DPWH earlier said it has prepared at least three other venues and plans to ensure that Marcos Jr. will have options.
The National Museum of the Philippines, formerly known as the Old Legislative Building, also served as the venue for the inauguration of former Presidents Manuel Quezon, Jose Laurel, and Manuel Roxas.
The Philippine National Police (PNP), meanwhile, said it has not monitored any serious threats to the inaugurations of Marcos and Vice President-elect Sara Duterte.
PNP spokesperson Police Col. Jean Fajardo said intelligence monitoring and gathering were continuing to ensure the security at the events.
“So far, we have not received any serious threat here in Manila and even in Davao where the inauguration for Vice President-elect Sara Duterte will be held,” she said in Filipino.