By Melvin Sarangay | Manila Bulletin
Presidential aspirant Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos, Jr. has called on the Filipino people not to give in to fear with the impending threat of a new COVID-19 variant.
“We are under the threat of a new variant of Covid-19: the Omicron. Don’t be disheartened. We have been there. We have survived Covid-19’s all earlier variants,” the Partido Federal ng Pilipinas (PFP) standard bearer said in a statement Monday, Nov. 29.
“I, myself, have survived Covid-19. It’s a painful process, but I did beat Covid-19.” The former lawmaker contracted COVID-19 March last year and had to go through self-isolation. Marcos, in a Facebook video April last year, said he possibly got infected by the disease when he and his wife went to Spain to attend a wedding.
“As a unified country, we will survive Omicron. We can still prevent it. Border control must be strengthened with health protocols maintained and we must speed up mass vaccinations to achieve herd immunity fast. The sooner, the better,” the former Ilocos Norte congressman added.
“We shall not allow the little gains against the pandemic we now enjoy to go to waste. We shall not panic, but we have to preempt the Omicron variant.” “Our recovery as a country, although slow as it is, must not be compromised. The safety of the entire population is paramount,” the former Ilocos Norte governor concluded.