By Hannah Torregoza | Manila Bulletin
Senator Panfilo “Ping” Lacson on Wednesday said he sees no problem so far on the personalities whom President-elect Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos, Jr. have named to be included in his Cabinet.
“I have always been consistent in my position that the choice of Cabinet members is the prerogative of the appointing authority, subject to the time-honored constitutional check and balance through the Commission on Appointments (CA),” Lacson said in a statement.
“Having said that, so far, the presumptive cabinet members are competent, experienced and qualified individuals who can take on the responsibilities assigned to them,” added Lacson.
Lacson, a presidential candidate in the recent May 9, 2022 elections, had earlier conceded defeat to Marcos, Jr.
Among the incoming Cabinet members of the Marcos administration include presumptive Vice President Inday Sara Duterte-Carpio who will head the Department of Education (DepEd); former Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) chair Benhur Abalos who will head the Department of the Interior and Local Government; Vic Rodriguez who will be the Executive Secretary; Cavite 7th District Rep. Boying Remulla who will head the Department of Justice (DOJ); former Philippine Socioeconomic Planning Secretary Arsenio Balisacan who will head the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA); former labor chief Bienvenido Laguesma who will return to the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE); and migrant workers advocate Susan “Toots” Ople who will head the newly-formed Department of Migrant Workers (DMW).
“For our country’s sake, moving on and helping the incoming administration propel our country to progress, peace and development should be the overarching mindset of the Filipino people, while being constantly on guard for possible abuses and misdeeds of those who would be clothed with the authority and power that go with their positions of responsibility,” Lacson said.