By Leslie Ann Aquino | Manila Bulletin
The “Oplan Baklas” of the Commission on Elections (Comelec) will continue.
On Monday, Feb. 21, Comelec Spokesperson James Jimenez said they will continue to take down illegal campaign materials despite criticisms from some individuals and groups.
“It will continue. It’s not the whole ‘Oplan Baklas’ that became controversial, only those involving private property,” he said during the Laging Handa briefing.
“But for the streets, those in public places, those hanging from electrical wires we will continue to remove them,” added Jimenez.
The poll official also expressed openness in reviewing their guidelines.
“If there would be people who would give a different opinion or different interpretations on policies, or if they have different observations that they would want to show to Comelec, then we are willing to accept these written position papers,” Jimenez said.
He said they are also looking into it internally.
Last week, the Comelec conducted the “Oplan Baklas” removing illegal campaign materials in some parts of the National Capital Region and in one region.
These are campaign materials that are out of size and out of place.
Poll lawyer Romulo Macalintal, however, said that the Comelec has no power to take down oversized campaign materials displayed in private properties sans due process.