By Ryan Ponce Pacpaco | Journal News Online
AT least 90% or 73 of the 81 governors in the country are now fully supporting the candidacy of presidential frontrunner Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. (BBM), even as they vowed to give him a landslide victory in the fast-approaching May 9 national polls.
This developed as 16 governors trooped to the BBM headquarters in Mandaluyong on Sunday night to reiterate their support for his presidential bid.
It was the second round of meetings between Marcos and the local chief executives for the consolidation of command votes in their respective provinces.
“Yung sinabi ni Chavit (Singson) na almost 90% ng governors are already for Bongbong. Totoo yun. Right now we have a new President,” said Quezon Gov. Danilo Suarez.
He was referring to the statement of Narvacan, Ilocos Sur Mayor and League of Municipalities of the Philippines President Luis Chavit Singson, who said that 90% of the governors are now fully supporting the BBM-Sara UniTeam.
“I don’t see any unprecedented event that can hamper the victory of Bongbong,” Suarez added.
Singson also appealed to the governors to work doubly hard to ensure that Marcos would be the first “majority president” since the multi-party system was implemented in the country.
“Doble kayod pa rin tayo kahit sigurado na ang panalo natin. Kailangan ipakita natin na siya ang kauna-unahang majority president,” Singson appealed.
The governors said that Singson’s appeal is “very possible” based on the results of all the respectable surveys where Marcos garnered more than 50% of the voters’ preference.
“Yung appeal ni Chavit na gawin namin majority president, well that would be our job. It’s easy to sell BBM, eh maayos na eh,” Suarez added.
For his part, Isabela Gov. Rodito Albano said that there is “no need” for UniTeam to campaign in their province.
“Maski hindi ko siya ikampanya sigurado siya sa amin. Mukhang mas mataas pa ang boto namin kay BBM keysa sa Ilocos,” Albano boasted.
Batangas Gov. Hermilando Mandanas echoed the governor’s sentiments, saying he will push for the protection of Marcos’ votes in his province.
“Siyempre panalo tayo dun but kailangang i-push pa rin. Kailangan bantayan. We have to show na that BBM is the solution. It’s really BBM na talagang nagpu-push para sa unity. At yan ang hinahanap nating lahat,” Mandanas said.
Bohol Gov. Arthur Yap, on the other hand, also assured that the majority of Boholanos will vote for Marcos.
“Sa Bohol may bagong survey kami kalalabas lang last Friday nasa 54% si BBM. Siyempre ta-trabahuhin pa natin yan pero wala na akong nakikitang problema,” Yap said.
Also present were Governors Dax Cua of Quirino; Susan Yap of Tarlac; Jose Riano of Romblon; Florencio Miraflores of Aklan; Philip Tan of Misamis Occidental; Eduardo Gadiano of Mindoro Occidental; Alexander Pimentel of Surigao del Sur; Bonifacio Lacwasan, of Mountain Province; Suharto Mangudadatu of Sultan Kudarat; and former Gov. Jun Ynares III of Rizal province.
Last week, ten governors from different provinces also expressed their full support for Marcos.
Apart from concerns and priority programs in their respective provinces, Marcos said the informal but intimate meeting with the local chief executives that coincided with the second Comelec-sponsored presidential debate also tackled vote protection for the upcoming May 9 elections.
“Vote protection, yun ang aming napag-usapan para makatiyak tayo na maganda ang takbo ng halalan. Mabilang lahat ng boto at hindi magka-problema,” Marcos said.
Present during the previous meeting were Governors Imelda Dimaporo, of Lanao del Norte; Francisco Emmanuel Ortega III, of La Union; Nancy Catamco, of Cotabato; Esteban Evan Contreras, of Capiz; Damian Mercado, of Southern Leyte; Ferdinand Tubban of Kalinga; Joy Bernos of Abra; Jerry Dalipog of Ifugao; and Camiguin gubernatorial bet Rep. Xavier Jesus Romualdo.