By John Eric Mendoza | Inquirer.net
MANILA, Philippines — The Commission on Elections (Comelec) has not considered extending the period of voter registration despite calls for it to do so in areas under enhanced community quarantine (ECQ), commission spokesperson James Jimenez said on Monday.
“The Commission en banc has not – repeat NOT – discussed the possibility of extension of the voter registration period,” said Jimenez in Viber message to reporters.
Last week, Malcañang announced that Metro Manila would be placed under ECQ from Aug. 6 to 20.
IN the meantime, Metro Manila will stay under the general community quarantine with heightened restrictions until Thursday, Aug. 5.
Jimenez said voter registration will continue until then.
“Voter Registration will continue until Thursday, in areas currently conducting voter registration operations,” he said.
The voter registration ends on Sept. 30 this year.