Join the campaign (Learn More)

GMA News Online : Comelec junks another petition vs. Marcos Jr.'s candidacy

News & Interviews
4 January 2022

By HANA BORDEY | GMA News Online

The Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Tuesday announced that another petition against presidential aspirant and former Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. has been junked.

In a virtual press conference Tuesday, Comelec Spokesperson James Jimenez said that the petition filed by Bongbong’s namesake, Tiburcio Marcos, was denied by the commission.

”’Yung kay Tiburcio Marcos has already been denied (The petition filed by Tiburcio Marcos has already been denied),” Jimenez said.

Jimenez said the petition was dismissed before the New Year.

Tiburcio Marcos’ petition argued that “impostor” Bongbong Marcos does not exist as legal person as the real one has been deceased since 1975.

While Jimenez announced that the petition has already been junked, the Comelec has yet to give the copy of the decision.

GMA News Online tried to ask for a copy of the decision from Bongbong’s camp but has yet to get a response as of posting time.

So far, Jimenez said there is one petition to cancel Marcos’ certificate of candidacy for president and four disqualification cases against the former senator which are still pending with the Comelec.

On December 16, the Comelec junked the petition filed by Danilo Lihaylihay, which seeks to declare Bongbong Marcos as a nuisance candidate.—LDF, GMA News