Bersyon sa Filipino.
Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” R. Marcos, Jr. today said unfulfilled promises from the government and the continuing cries for justice from families of the SAF (Special Action Force) 44 justify the reopening of the Senate probe on the January 25, 2015 Mamasapano massacre.
“Almost a year has passed after the Mamasapano massacre and yet we continue to hear complaints from some of the kin of the SAF 44 that they have yet to receive the assistance the government promised to them,” Marcos said.
He cited report quoting widows of slain SAF commandos, namely Virgie Viernes and Merlyn Gamutan, who bared that they have yet to receive the aid pledged by the government. “Drawing lang po,” Viernes said when asked about the promised aid from the government.
Marcos said the complaint of the two widows of SAF 44 runs counter to the statement the Philippine National Police leadership issued last July claiming they have provided about P80 million in cash aid for all the kin of the SAF 44 as well as scholarship benefits for children of the slain policemen.
“But what the families of the SAF 44 are asking most from the government is justice for their loved ones. Yet until now no case has been filed in court to prosecute those responsible,” said Marcos.
“We owe it to the families of the SAF heroes to resolve these issues and the Senate investigation will allow us the opportunity to do that,” he added.
Marcos has consistently prodded the Department of Justice to speed up its preliminary investigation on the Mamasapano massacre and file appropriate charges in court to begin the process of giving justice to the victims.
The Senate reopened the Mamasapano investigation on the strength of a motion from Minority Leader, Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile, who demanded the resumption of the probe as early as October last year on the ground that he has new evidence regarding the incident.