Saying he sought to provide the country a unifying leadership, former Sen. Ferdinand ‘Bongbong’ Marcos, Jr. officially threw his hat for the presidency under a “convoy of political parties, sectoral movements and youth organizations” led by the Partido Federal ng Pilipinas (PFP).
He filed his Certificate of Candidacy for the presidency before noon Wednesday (October 6), accompanied by his wife, Atty. Louise, and two sons, Ferdinand Alexander and Joseph Simon.
In a live broadcast aired on his Facebook page Tuesday, Marcos had formally announced his intention to run for the May 2022 national elections, expressing hopes of bringing all Filipinos to work together towards a shared vision and goal, especially as the country continues to face challenges from the Covid-19 pandemic.
“I am today announcing my intention to run for the Presidency of the Philippines in the upcoming May 2022 elections. I will bring that form of unifying leadership back to our country. Join me in this noblest of causes and we will succeed. Sama-sama tayong babangon muli [Together we will get back on our feet],” Marcos said.
“Hangad kong ibalik ang mapagkaisang paglilingkod na magbubuklod sa ating bansa. Tayo’y magkaisa at sama-sama tayong babangon mula sa hagupit ng pandemya, babangon mula sa paglulugmok ng ating ekonomiya [I dream of restoring a unifying kind of service that will bind our nation. Let’s be united and together recover from the pandemic; let us arise from the ruins of the economy],” he added.
After filing his Certificate of Candidacy (COC) under the Partido Federal ng Pilipinas (PFP) on Wednesday, the son of the late strongman and former president Ferdinand Marcos he said he does not want to be known for a “polarizing” leadership.
His father had ruled for two decades, and was remembered for imposing martial law in 1972 and detaining thousands, including his fiercest political rivals and critics. Questions on the real legacy of his presidency – and allegations of ill-gotten wealth – have been thrown by critics, but Marcos Jr. has in past weeks staunchly defended his father’s record.
“I am running for president, I am not fighting against anyone,” Marcos said when asked if he plans to compete with Vice President Leonor “Leni” Robredo during the 2022 polls.
“I don’t have any fight with VP Leni,” he added.
Marcos and Robredo faced off during the 2016 vice presidential race, where the latter emerged victorious and Marcos filed an election protest.
Some groups are pushing Robredo to run for a higher position in the 2022 polls, but she has so far held her cards close t her chest. Her office said she will make an important announcement on Thursday (October 7).
Like other aspiring candidates, Marcos said he wants to focus on addressing the economic effects of the Covid-19 pandemic.
“For all Filipinos to be united to face Covid and reopen the economy, that is may intention and dream,” Marcos said in his speech after filing his COC
New vice president
When asked who his vice presidential candidate will be, Marcos said they initially intended to adopt President Duterte, who was supposed to run as the vice presidential candidate of the Partido Demokratiko Pilipino–Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban).
However, after Duterte withdrew his plans to run in the 2022 polls and announced on Saturday he would retire from politics instead, Marcos said PFP is currently looking for a new vice presidential bet to endorse.
Marcos said his talks with Duterte’s daughter, Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio, did not push through.
Marcos said they may consider adopting Senator Christopher “Bong” Go who is running as the new vice presidential candidate of the PDP-Laban, after President Duterte declared retirement plans.
The PFP is currently in the process of fielding its senatorial candidates, although Marcos admitted, it may not be able to complete its Senate slate. “At the very least, probably we will have seven or eight or nine [senatorial] candidates,” Marcos said.