Join the campaign (Learn More)

Abogado : Mga negatron lang! Marcos Jr’s lawyer calls online petition vs 2022 bid a ‘cheap political stunt’

News & Interviews
15 December 2021

By Abogado

The camp of presidential aspirant Bongbong Marcos blasted the new attempt to boot him out of the 2022 elections through a Change.org petition urging the Commission on Elections to cancel his certificate of candidacy.

The group Alliance of Women for Action Towards Reform or AWARE on Wednesday filed a printed copy of over 15,000 e-signatures gathered in the past two weeks backing the case filed by Atty. Theodore Te against Marcos, saying the ex-senator is not eligible to run for office for having been convicted of violating the country’s Tax Code.

The Court of Appeals previously withheld a Quezon City court’s guilty verdict on Marcos on four counts of non-filing of income tax returns.

But Marcos’ abogado Vic Rodriguez said the new plea is pure BS.

“Of course everybody wants everyone to pay his or her taxes as what Bongbong Marcos had done and is doing all these years as a taxpayer. But here comes another cheap poIitical stunt by people motivated by hate and extreme negativity who tried to deceive the public and the Comelec with their lies that Marcos has not paid his 1982-1985 income tax when in fact he did,” Rodriguez said in a statement.

AWARE argued that every Filipino, especially the rich like Marcos, should pay taxes.

“Had they cared to equip themselves with even just a little comprehension of the factual and legal circumstances surrounding the matter, this group would not have allowed the forces behind this nuisance petition to use them as pawns,” Rodriguez added.